Monday, October 6, 2014

Writing the Best Book Blurb


One of the first things readers look at when choosing a book to read is the book blurb, or back cover description. You want it to grab readers’ attention and entice them to buy your book. But how do you turn your beloved novel into a short description without losing its integrity? I took to the Goodreads “Ask The Author” feature to find out how famous authors write the best back cover description. I was amazed at the number of responses I received, and am gratified that so many authors were willing to answer my question. Here is a list of their tips:

Joanne Harris, author of Chocolat
“It should be short, catchy and properly representative of what's in the book. Place, main characters and a sentence or two to explain the plot. My gripe against most blurbs is that they feature way too many adjectives - as far as I'm concerned, less is more.”

Michael Sullivan, author of The Riyria Revelations and The Riyria Chronicles
“Here is my "quick advice" on the subject. My recommendation is to have three parts:
  1. A headline
  2. A one paragraph summary or "blurb"
  3. 1 or 2 quotes from reviewers (or other authors)”
Gail Carson Levine, author of Ella Enchanted
“I've written only a few blurbs, but I'd suggest you write more than you need. Let all your enthusiasm for the book spill out and over. Then cut back. In good fiction writing we keep adjectives to a minimum, but in good blurb writing, the more the merrier. Let the accolades flow!”

Michael Robotham, author of Life or Death
“Keep it short and pose a question the reader will want answered. For example, in LIFE OR DEATH: 'Why would a man escape from prison the day before his release?'”

C.E. Murphy, author of The Walker Papers
“I like to open with a strong declarative sentence, if I can. I prefer not to have anything in the blurb that spoils more than about the first three chapters. If it's an ongoing series I try really hard not to spoil the LAST book, but that can be really difficult. I tried to focus them on the major plot hook and mention some element of the emotional plot. I try to keep them under 200 words. Um. I like to end with a "dun dun dah dun" kind of trailing-off thingy to attempt to draw people in. “

Lurlene McDaniel, author of The Year of Chasing Dreams
“Keep blurbs brief, hint at plot of story, conflict, first names of main characters, and use words that are compelling to imagination.”

Emily Bold, author of The Curse Series and Midnight Series
“Writing a great blurb is difficult work (for me)! For some books I wrote more than twenty different versions. I think the most important thing is to make the readership curious. Don´t reveal too much of your story. My blurbs often end with a question, a conflict - I hope readers would like me to give ‘the answer.’”


To a reader, the first sentence of a book blurb is the most important. It’s the first thing they read; so make sure to hook them with it. From there, introduce your characters in their best light and talk about the dilemma they are facing, but don’t give away too much of the plot. Write your blurb for the audience you want to attract – you can’t please everyone, so just focus on those who would most enjoy your book. Try to use words that evoke images and resonate with readers of your genre. Leave your readers wanting to know more about your characters and if they solve their problems. As always, your book blurb won’t be perfect on your first draft. Keep revising it until you’re happy with it, and don’t give up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment